No one likes an empty gallery.
Iji playing on our stage on 11/9/15
Booking & Facility Information
Sugar City prides itself as being organized as a community based venue that is specifically designed to encourage individuals to become music promoters, event organizers and art curators. Unlike most venues, you don’t “get booked” at the Sugar City- you use your creative energy to book yourself! We exist to help, support and provide space to our nice city neighbors.
We welcome the Buffalo Community to utilize our space for a small fee. Sugar City is not 100% funded via grants so your contribution keeps paying rent and utilities to keep the space alive. So don’t hesitate to donate. As much as we wish it could be, Sugar City is not free. We have rent, utility, and maintenance fees that add up to around $1200.00 per month. We pay for ALL of it by receiving donations for use of the space, having parties at other venues and hosting our own shows. This is not a business for us, but rather a collective passion to support independent culture in our town. All money goes directly to keeping Sugar City open and paying the artists kind enough to share their work at our venue.
1. Most events start at 6:30pm. All events must end by 10pm Sunday – Thursday and 11pm Friday and Saturday. This is out of respect to our neighbors and in accordance with the City of Buffalo 11pm curfew for people under 16 years old. All events are all-ages, non-smoking and alcohol free. At least one Sugar Citizen will be on the premises at all times to oversee and assist events.
2. We REALLY like meeting with people in person, so please read ALL of the information that follows and if you haven’t been to Sugar City yet come stop by an event and say hi! Sugar City is a special space and you should know what it looks like and how events are run. We are about community building as much as hosting sweet events.
3. Decide what you want to do. Email us a short description and some dates you think would be nice for your event-you can check our calendar for availability. We are into hosting all sorts of events including music, shows art openings, block club meetings, swapmeets, potlucks, fundraisers, film screenings, readings and more! When the time comes your events can be hosted email us a little write-up and image and we will post it on our website.
4. You can decide if and how much admission to ask from attendees and allocate the funds as you wish. We encourage anyone who wants to host an event to visit Sugar City if you have not done so before contacting us.
If you are a local band looking for a show we suggest you get a couple other bands to play with you and then email us some dates and the lineup. If you are a local promoter please email us what bands you’d like to host along with dates.
If you are an out-of-town artist (or a local citizen who doesn’t want to be the leader of your own event) please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a short description of your work/band and some potential dates. If someone who volunteers for Sugar City likes your work we will try to setup a show/ing. Please do not be discouraged if we do not respond as we are all volunteers and get many many emails.
5. A fee of $50 per week for our gallery space, $75 or 25% of total revenue ($250 cap) for self-promoted music events, and $10 an hour for other programming such as lectures, workshops, meetings and etc. All rates are open to discussion and non-monetary donations, such as supplies or volunteer time, are accepted. You can volunteer at the space and bank hours that can go towards hosting your own event. Our volunteer rate is 20 hrs for a music event or 5 hrs per hour for a non music event. We like to sign simple agreements with event holders so we are all on the same page.
6. THE BEST WAY YO BOOK AN EVENT IS TO COME TO ANOTHER ONE AND SAY HI AND TALK TO US IN REAL LIFE. We are all volunteers and it is sometimes hard to keep up with so many emails-that doesn’t mean we don’t want to help you! Come on by to a scheduled event.
This was written with inspiration from the DAAC
Booking and Facility Requests Form
Here’s an outside view so you don’t miss us!
Oh look at the beautiful hallway.
Here is a peak at our back performance space.
This is the reason we run an all ages alcohol free space 😀